Friday, March 19, 2010

All By Myself...

My husband had baseball practice right after work yesterday, and then they went to the batting cages, and then they had dinner together. I had all this energy when I got home from work, so I took the dogs for a walk, and then made a pot of soup with what I had in the house.

Summer Soup

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes (no salt added), drained

2 medium Zucchinis, quartered and sliced

1 can Pink Beans, drained and rinsed

1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed

1 can Chick Peas, drained, rinsed, and pureed

6 cups Broth (I used nonfat, low-sodium Chicken broth)

1 tbsp dried Basil

1/2 tsp dried Rosemary

1/2 tsp dried Oregano

1/2 tsp Black Pepper

1/4 tsp Kosher Salt or Sea Salt

1 cup Pasta (I used Tubettini) - optional


Heat the Olive Oil in a large stock pot. Add Onions and Garlic and cook until Onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently to keep Garlic from browning. Stir in Tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Add Zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in all remaining ingredients except pasta, and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Add pasta and cook until soft. Serve with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese on each bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment